Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Gift idea for Your Man



There's nothing like a barber shop shave, or so I've heard :p Word on the street is that this way of shaving helps put a stop to razor burn, irritation, and gives a closer shave. Looking at the total cost of the products may seem like quite a bit all at once, but just think about how much disposable blades cost! The blades for a safety razor are way cheaper to replace, $16 gets you 60 blades. The shaving cream is about $22-$25 a tub, but it will last a lot longer than the brands that you buy at your grocery store or Target & Walmart. One tub should last 6 months easily because when you shave with a badger hair brush, you don't need as much cream to get a lather going. Why do I know so much about shaving you ask!? Well, this Christmas I bought my husband the complete set up for a barber shop shave at home, also called a wet shave, and I found all of these products at Amazon.com. Before you read on, or purchase anything, I strongly suggest you read this article to get some additional background information. Reading this article is what gave me the idea to transition my husband into this new wet shaving routine.

Here are the items that I purchased:




A safety razor: Merkur 1904 Gillette Pattern Safety Razor #41 + 10 blades $30

100% Badger Shaving Brush: Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush $13.50

Razor& Brush Stand: Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand $27.25

Shaving Cream: The Art of Shaving Essential Oil Shaving Cream in Lavender 5.3 oz $19.80



Pre-Shave Oil: The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil in Lavender $14-22

Razor Blades: 60 Assorted Double Edge Razor Blades $16.00


Along with all the items, I printed some directions. Here are the directions for Wet Shaving 101 ready to print.




I printed it on 2 pieces of standard size cardstock cut in half equalling 4 half pages. I punched a hole in the corner and tied a bow out of ribbon to make a little book.

If you have any questions, or if you are pressed for time as far as shipping goes, go visit The Art of Shaving store near you. They can answer all your questions and carry a complete kit to get your man started. I purchased everything you see here except for the pre-shave oil (all on Amazon).

After the first couple months of wetshaving, my husband was still getting razor burn on his neck, so we stopped into The Art of Shaving store and the man there pointed us in the direction of the pre shave oil. He gave my husband a sample, and low and behold, the razor burn began to heal. So this shave oil is on the top of my list for gifts for him :) Such a great gift for Valentine's Day or any holiday. Who wouldn't want their man to start their day off in luxury!?

1 comment: